Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chapter 99 - April 23, 2013

Wow! Chapter 99. Can you believe it? Hi everybody. Welcome to Chapter 99. I'm gonna name this chapter, "Puppy," and I'm gonna dedicate it to my Mom and Dad.

The chapter is called "Puppy" because I met the most optimistic person in the world. That guy is my hero. Amazing. The guy was a boot maker in Arizona. He was 97 years old, and he went out and he got a puppy. Now that's optimistic. You know when you're like this you have to be optimistic. You've got to think about getting better all the time. I mentioned it before, but it's so important to have a point person. In my case, it's my mother. She kind of controls everything like a conductor would. She is my personal assistant. For example, my roommate the last time I was in rehab, my roommate had a wife who was his point person. They make decisions for you, plan your week, make appointments for you. You know, make your life easier. This is all stuff I've said before, but I think it's really important. I mean, come on, if it wasn't for my family and friends, I'd be in a nursing home. And I saw plenty of people who lived in a nursing home. It doesn't look fun.

I'll just recap a few more things I did this week. I've been standing using all my body weight. It sounds simple just standing up, but believe me, it's scary as hell. But I'm doing it. I'm standing up with two people holding me. Another baby step forward. Other things I do that are important is water therapy, once again. It's so important for balance. You know, the most important thing that I'll say again, is attitude. You've got to maintain a positive attitude. I know it's not easy to do, but it's so important. You gotta stay positive. Like, the guy I met who was 97 years old. Anyway, you know, I'm tired of talking about all this stuff. Let's talk about a few random stories. Stories from the past.

You know, I loved living in Montauk, NY. I'll tell you a few reasons why. One time I was having dinner and I said, "I'll have the tuna special." Well, the waitress, she said, "There's no more tuna, I'm sorry. You'll have to choose something else." All of a sudden, a fishing boat pulled up to the pier. The guy was unloading yellow fin tuna. She looked over to the boat and she said, "You know what? Tuna's back on the menu." It was real fresh. I like the casual attitude that everyone had in Montauk. There was a great bar/restaurant I would go to all the time for lunch. It was down by the town dock. A lot of locals went there along with fisherman. It was a cool place. Anyway, I was sitting there with my friend having lunch. I looked over and there was a celebrity I recognized sitting at the bar. Well, the owner of the restaurant came out with the coffee and the owner said, real loud, "Who's the spineless puke who ordered the non-fat double decaf, lo-fat powder chocolate on the top cappuccino?" And the celebrity sheepishly raised his hand. They obviously knew each other 'cause they both started laughing.

There was another guy I knew. He owned a surf store. Anyway, he also owned a bar I would go to all the time. We talked about windsurfing. He used to windsurf in the 80's. Anyway, he was windsurfing on the ocean and he looked up to see what he thought was a boat turned upside down. He went out to check it out. Well, when he got close to the object, he saw that it was a big dead whale. What was feeding on the whale? A giant great white shark. The guy thought, well, I better turn around. So he quickly turned around and went back to shore. But the great white shark didn't like anything else around him. So he chased off my friend back to the shore. The guy who was windsurfing said he looked back. Imagine stretching your arms out. He said the head was like fist to fist. That's a big smile. Anyway, he made it to shore and called the Coast Guard. By the way, they caught the fish.

You know, the shoreline of Montauk was always changing. You know, it would be rocky one month and sandy the next. It was always changing. I guess it was kind of a metaphor to how things are right now. Everything is always changing. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. As a matter of fact, I think change is good for you.

I don't have much else to report. Oh yeah, I have one more story to tell you. It takes place in Australia. Near where I lived there was a hotel and every Sunday they played music everyone would sit outside drink beer, you know. Hang out. Anyway, the bikers really liked this outdoor bar. There was one group of bikers. They were real outlaws. Real tough guys. They were based out of New Zealand. Anyway, they were sitting there having their beers and cruising into the bar comes a group of Sunday bikers. They were like doctors and lawyers. They were in their pristine leathers. You know, they had Harley written over their real nice sleeveless vest. They rode in, saw the other bikers who came from New Zealand. Their eyes got really big and the New Zealanders' got real small, and the lawyers and doctors did a U turn and kept going. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, that's it for this week. Next week is chapter 100. I promised my friend here we'd dance at chapter 100. I made this promise around chapter 2 or 3 so it should be interesting. A new form of dancing. You see, I'm not at where I thought I'd be, but I'll improvise. Talk to you next week, I hope. Love, B. Nice



No comments:

Post a Comment