Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Chapter 120 - December 31, 2013 - So long 2013


Hi everybody. Happy New Year's Eve! Another year goes by. I'm gonna get right into it and tell you a couple of Fashion Confessions. Remember, this blog is about now and the past. Mostly about the past because I feel bad about some things, well kind of.

You know, in my business I worked with a lot with art directors. I remember one time, I went up to Germany to show my book around. It was when I was living in Paris. Anyway, I went up to Germany and went on a few appointments. One time I went int o see this art director who was having lunch, Roast Beef and Mayonaise, I can tell that because it was all over my book. Anyway, she started looking at my book and going through the pages very fast. And while she was eating her sandwich she said to me, "I've seen all these pictures before Und der are so many people who can do this. I see nothing new." Then she stopped at a photo I did and said, "Und Dis is YOU. Dis is very personal, und dis is you." And she started pounding on my book. She was crazy, but she was right. It was a test I did for myself. I still remember the image.

Another time, I was in London. I was shooting for a British magazine. I was at the magazine meeting up with a fashion editor. Well, the art department came down to get me. He said, "You have the cover. It looks great. Come by and see a mock up before you leave." So after my meeting with the fashion editor I stopped by the art department. Well sure enough, there was my photo and it was the front cover and two thirds down the front cover it said in big words, "Vaginal Health." I mean, come one, give me a break. How am I supposed to put that in my book without laughing. It was a good shot though.

Another time I was in Italy. I'm going to go off on a tangent here. I just remembered something. My agent there didn't pay me for like two years. I'd done a lot of editorial, but they just took their sweet ass time in paying me, so one day I just sat on the agency couch until they paid me. I sat on that couch from 10 am until 8 pm. The owner finally cut me a check. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, I met up with an art department at a magazine I always worked for and on the way out I remember one of the world's top fashion magazines was on the same floor I was on. Well, I went to the reservation person at this top magazine and I said, "I have an appointment with the art department." They looked at me curiously and they said, "Oh really?" and they called the art department. They said, "There is a gentleman here who says he has an appointment." Well, there was a bit of a talk between the art department of this magazine and I said, "Oh! My New York agent must have made the appointment. Either way, I remember you said - no problem." Well, the head of the art department finally said, "OK, OK," and I went down there and saw them. It was a good meeting, but I never saw them again.

You know, I worked with some great art directors. It's amazing when it clicks. 2013 was a good year, but let's toast to 2014. Hope there's a lot more clicking going on. Anyway, have a good night and a good New Year. Love, B. Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment