Monday, February 6, 2012

Chapter 36 - February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012

I’ve said this before, but I want to remind everyone that I’m doing this for myself and to help anyone else that may have a traumatic brain injury.  It’s not exactly a chrystal ball into the future, but it may help.  I’m not a doctor, a nurse, a health professional, but I am someone who has traumatic brain injury.

I really believe that my whole life has gotten me ready for this moment, this event I’m going through.  When I was young, my parents took my sister and me around the world for 3 years.  I had many adventures when I was young.  I worked as a fashion photographer.  I worked in the 80’s with a fashion photographer.  I’ve survived plane accidents, diving accidents, earthquakes, car accidents.  I was hunted by warriors in New Guinea.  I had a 50 calibre machine gun trained on me by some Kanack rebels in Newmea.  I was married twice, and divorced twice.  I think the divorces were worse the warriors.  You get the picture.  I’ve also had many adventures.  Windsurfing in Hawaii in the open ocean.  Living in Australia.  Living in Paris.  I could go on and on.  That could be a whole other story.  The point is, I’ve had a lot of experience in my life, and I believe it got me ready for what I’m going through.  This is tough.  Anyway, I know I said it before, but I just want to remind you guys.

It’s strange.  I have flashbacks every once in a while.  The most recent one made me laugh.  In the hospital, where I was for 5 months, the nurse’s aides would come around 8 am to wake you up.  In my room, I had a curtain around my bed, and they would open the curtain and wake me up.  I would either be myself, or I would be my alter ego.  My alter ego was named Bubbles, and Bubbles was a male stripper who drove a nascar.  That’s why I was in the hospital, because my nascar crashed.  I would lie in the bed naked and flirt with the staff holding my sheet over my nose and acting coy while dancing, of course.  They would all be laughing, so when they came around in the morning, they would ask, who’s there?  Bubbles or Brian?  We would all have a laugh.  You gotta have a laugh.  After a few months, you get so bored.

OK, I’m gonna give you a quick update, and then we’ll call it a day.  Lately, I’ve been super dizzy.  It’s hard to sit up and maintain balance.  I’ve been having a hard time speaking.  It’s a little bit out of the norm.  When I take a shower in the shower chair, I’m terrified.  I’m afraid I’ll fall.  It’s a weird feeling.  I also have a bad cold and sore throat, so that may be the cause.  Whenever you get a bug, it really affects you when you have traumatic brain injury.  I try to keep myself preoccupied with music and thinking about the future.  I told you guys, in a few blogs back, I’m planning a trip across America.  In 1979, I was part of a 12 man relay team.  We ran across America.  In 1979, I ran across America as an athlete.  I plan on retracing my footsreps and going back across as a photographer.  I plan on taking pictures the whole way.  I’ll keep you posted.

Other than that, everything is status quo.  I continue to get better, but it’s really slow.  I’m picking up my walk and go.  It’s a walker that will help me remember how to walk.  My parents bought it for me.

I’ve been waking up early thinking too much.  Never think too much.  That’ll be my profound statement.  Never think too much.  Oh, the other profound statement of the week is a flashback.  I remember when I lived in Paris, I worked for a magazine called, Madame Figaro.  There was a fashion editor there that said to me, in a very thick French accent, she said, Brian, you must learn how to kiss.  I said What?  She said, you know, kiss.  Keep it simple Stupid.  When taking pictures, keep it simple.  Oh yeah, and buy a really shitty camera.  It’ll make your photographs really interesting.  Who needs photohop?  Anyway, I went off on a bit of a tangent there.  Was nice having a chat to you.  I’ll see you next week.

Oh, one other thing.  Remember this:  When I was in my room, I had a jew, a muslim, and catholic, and I have no idea what I am, but we all had one thing in common.  We were all messed up.  And I realize, you know, united we stand together.  Individually, we’ll fall.  Sounds familiar, right?  Anyway, it’s just an observation.  United we stand.  Divided we fall.  I have no idea why I said that.  It might be because I had 2 brain surgeries.  I just wanted to share that with you.  Love, B. Nice

1 comment: