Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chapter 8 - April 26, 2011

Well, I’m officially over the novelty of this bullshit. Things seem so difficult right now.
It’s true, when you get a cold it seems so much worse. Not only that, but I’ve got to deal
with my divorce as well. Not fun. I don’t know if you’ve been through a divorce before.
I have. It’s like a death. Not an easy thing to do when you’re in this condition. Anyway,
live in the moment. Don’t dwell upon the past, and don’t think about the future. Just be
in the moment. That’s what I try to do.

It’s great to have family and friends remind you that you are getting better. They’re
either telling the truth or they’re really good at blowing smoke up my ass. I mean, come
on. What are you going to tell a guy in my condition he’s not getting better. Anyway, it
does help. Always think positive.

Therapy has been going good. I graduated from the light gate to the treadmill. That’s
a positive thing. They have me walking on my own with help (as much as possible).
When I do physical therapy and occupational therapy, I work on my hands and my arms.
She also helps me with my sight. By the end of those sessions I’m usually wiped out. I
have an ambulette van pick me up and bring me home. This is provided by the county.
You’ll learn that the county nurse is very helpful in getting you what you need. You’ll
have your primary insurance and you’ll want to try to apply for Medicaid if you’re
qualified. I don’t understand the whole insurance game, but it seems so complicated. I
can’t imagine doing it myself right now. At the moment, my mother has been doing her
best to get me what I need, wheelchairs, showers, aides, etc. One good thing my wife did
before she left for Texas was to get me on Medicaid. That has proven to help a lot.

I will never understand what happened as far as my relationship to her. I guess that’s
a whole other book. But I could tell you one thing, it doesn’t help being here alone. I
mean, I have my family and friends, but it’s really not the same as having your spouse by
your side. I would also have my child with me too. But I guess it’s just not to be. What
doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? Sometimes I wonder.

There have been small improvements. I can stand up better without help. I’m learning
how to feed myself and it’s becoming easier and easier. Just seems so slow. I guess,
after my first operation, I really excelled, that’s why the hospital gave me an award. It
just makes this recovery so much more difficult.

Some people say my speech is getting better. I feel it’s very difficult to talk. At least
things are changing.

Today was the first real warm day after the winter. I spent most of the day just sitting
outside in the fresh air. It felt so good. It’s what I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I
used to dream about these moments in the ICU after my operation. It would get me
through the hard times. So when you’re having a bad day, just picture yourself in a
beautiful spot and just for a moment you’ll feel better. But sometimes that’s all you need
is a moment to get through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment