Monday, March 14, 2011

Chapter 6 - March 17, 2011

Well, happy anniversary to me!  It's been about 6 months since my last major attack.  2 brain surgeries and about 7 other operations later - here I am!  I'm still in recovery and probably will be for some time to come.  I met with my neuro surgeon and a neurologist last week.  All good.  They saw my current MRI and gave me a good clean bill of health.  No major surgeries needed.  Once again they stress that I concentrate on getting better and doing my rehab.  Rehab is so important.

I also met with a Buddhist priest.  The priest told me how to meditate which has come in very handy.  It calms me when I kind of freak out.  He wasn't my iconic vision of a Buddhist priest.  He looked more like a quarterback for an NFL team, retired or course.  But he had some great advice and the meditations he taught me will be very valuable to me.

I've still been feeling very strange.  They are tapering me off my medicines.  They brought me down 250 ml for a month.  I'm now on 1250 keppra and 250 of the depracote.  There's been some shift.  Not sure what it is.  It might be because I'm changing my meds.  At least things are changing.  For the better, I'm sure.

Just a side note:  Here's some more wise wisdom, don't ever ever give a dog 3 day old Chinese food, my dog's been dropping bombs on my legs like there's no tomorrow.  I could probably open a methane plant.  Now, back to my blog...

My eyes still move erratically and my balance is not good.  I've been doing exercises as well as working on my balance.  Usually I tell my aids and my therapists what is going on with me and they come up with the exercise to help me get better.

Now, after reading this again, I remember something the neurologist noticed.  He said my eye movements, my facial tremors, my palate moving were all related.  They looked at my MRI and he said, well look, look at what this guy is dealing with.  I had major malformations on my brain stem.  So there you have it.  The neuro surgeon said it was a very rare condition and that I was special.  I think I mentioned that before.  I just wanted to remind everyone that I am special.  ha ha ha.

I wish I could help out around the house more.  I feel like such a burden to everyone.  I guess I could do some dishes, but they might be spending more time replacing everything I break.  I'm still having a hard time with my hands.  Drawing has been a great benefit to me.  I also have an art therapist come once a week.  We work with clay.  I'm thinking about starting guitar lessons.  I guess I'll be starting over again.

I remember what the priest said.  He said that it's very important to live in the moment.  Not the past, not the future, but here and now.  I've been finding that very difficult.  As I miss my home, my daughter, my dog, my wife and my life on the beach.  I'm still amazed that you could have everything you've ever wanted and lose it all in less than a second.  It's amazing how fragile everything we love is.

I guess I just want to remind you all how lucky you are and how special everything is.  I do miss surfing.  It will really clear your head.  No need to go off on a tangent like this.  A good run in the rain would be nice or a good walk.  For now, it will have to be my meditation.

1 comment: